Monday, November 9, 2009

Ibn Arabi's Monday Evening Prayer














Bismillah.

O my Lord, instruct me
with the subtle benevolence of Your Lordliness,
as one who is conscious of being in total need of You
should be instructed,
as one who never claims to be independent of You.

Watch over me with the eye of Your Providence,
protecting me from all the knocks that may befall me,
or anything that may afflict me
or cause me to be troubled at any moment or in any perception.

Provide me with the ease of intimacy with You, and raise me to the station of Closeness to You. Revive my spirit with Your remembrance, and draw me on, now with hopeful longing for You, and now with reverent fear of You.

Restore to me the cloak of satisfaction and bring me to the wellsprings of the welcome. Grant me compassion from You, re-establishing harmony in my disorder, perfecting where I am lacking, rectifying where I am deviating, restraining me when I am astray and guiding me when I am perplexed.

Indeed You are the Lord of every thing and its instructor. You mercify the essences (of all beings) and You elevate the degrees. Your closeness is the joy of the spirits and the perfumed sweetness of rejoicing; the epitome of true prosperity and the repose of all those who are at ease.

May You be blessed, Lord of lords! Liberator of slaves! Lifter of suffering! You embrace everything in compassion and in knowledge. You forgive wrongdoing with loving tenderness and clemency. You are the Forgiving, the Merciful, the Clement, the All-Knowing, the High, the Magnificent.

And may the blessing of God be upon our master Muhammad, and upon all his family and companions And upon all the prophets and messengers. Alhamdulillahi rabbil alamin. And praise be to God, Lord of the universes.
_________________________________________

Partial Monday Eve Prayer of Ibn al-Arabi (1165 - 1240 CE)
From Al-Awrad al-yawmiyaa (Daily Prayers)
Translated by Pablo Beneito and Stephen Hirtenstein
Credit: Anqa Publishing Oxford

1 comment: