Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Your crazy nonsense - hadhayan

Bismillah.

O son, someone asked me if taslit and tushollit are of the same meaning. I could not  answer that question properly because I am not an ahli (subject matter expert) of the issue raised. I don't know Arabic. I merely picked up some terms here and there. Anyway, the query on taslit & tushollit had made me revisit the 20th discourse of Shaykh Abdul Qadir al-Jilani in The Sublime Revelation (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani), translated into English by Muhtar Holland. And what I discovered made me laugh at myself for my crazy nonsense!

Ghawth al-Azam said in the 20th discourse in Fath ar-Rabbani where he also talked about taslit and tashkir which we had quoted before, he said:
"You must go into isolation from the self (nafs),
then into isolation from creatures,
then into isolation from this world,
then into isolation from the hereafter,
then into isolation from everything apart from the Master (al-Mawla).
If you wish to be secluded together with the Master,
you must become isolated from your existence (wujud),
your planning (tadbir)
and your crazy nonsense (hadhayan)!

Shaykh Abdul Qadir al-Jilani is so right, the three things that make people like me go beserk is when all I think about is I, I, I; what I will do, will not do, should do or want to do; and my crazy nonsense.

I just hope no one will ask me what hadhayan means, its root word etc. I have a small brain. I am jahil. If an expert like Muhtar Holland says it's hadhayan then it is hadhayan. And there are also people who asked me if the translators whom I have been quoting are muslims, just because their names did not sound 'Islamic'. Oh...I just hope people would have husnul zan towards other people.
Maybe it is time to go into isolation from creatures?
May Allah forgive me and forgive you.

No comments:

Post a Comment