Thursday, June 23, 2011

Until you depart from you...

Bismillah.

It's 21st Rajab, we remembered the days of the special months - Rajab, Shaaban, Ramadan, Shawal, Zulqa'dah, Zulhijjah and Jamadil Akhir when the venerable Shaykh Abdul Qadir Al Jailani gave his discourses as compiled in Fath Ar Rabbani, one book we hold on to so dearly and one which we have quoted so frequently.

His words are as piercing to the heart as ever. And the translations offered by the late Muhtar Holland, mashaAllah, so fluid in its expression that we chew each word insatiably.

The shaykh said something that hit us hard because there's no denying that's what we've been occupied with. We have, consciously or unconsciously, been busy putting efforts to attract benefit to ourself and repel harm from ourself, haven't we?

The shaykh said:
"Do not try to match the people of the Lord with your hypocrisy for you are not fit. There is nothing to be said until you cut the waistband, renew your Islam, truly repent with your heart, and leave the house of your natural urges (tab'), your passions (hawa), your existence (wujud) and your efforts to attract benefit to you and repel harm from you.  

There is nothing to be said
until you depart from you,
leaving your lower self (nafs),
your passions and your natural urges at the door,
leaving your heart in the lobby,
and leaving your innermost being (sirr) in the closet with the King."

Subhanallah!

Oh, if we may lament aloud. Oh poor soul, when will you leave your sandals and enter? No it's not even about 'when', it's whether you are willing to leave your sandals behind and go. But woe unto you who like to parade in them with pride. Hey buddy! The shaykh said, to leave your heart in the lobby!

Subhanallahi amma yushrikun!





1 comment:

  1. I love this Ezza. I have too been reading the book of late, every morning, funnily enough I landed on 23rd Rajab in the book which is where I stopped last year. Hope you have an amazing time at the majilis. I was fortunate to be in the company of Shakyh Yaqoubi - my heart felt so light and free. When I left I felt burdened again. I too need to leave my sandals, been too busy putting and taking them off. The only thing stopping me is me.
    Loving the Hajj widget - keep up with the countdown, inshallah see you on Arafat!

    Love, love , love R
    x

    ReplyDelete