Sunday, January 10, 2016

That you may know each other | Keep up the good work

Bismillah.

Assalamualaikum,
Hi folks,

I wonder how good you are in Geography. It was one of my favorite subjects in school because it's fun and I tend to do well in it so it helped improve my overall scoring. But lately, I realized my Geography is not as good as I thought.

I took for granted where Guyana is until a shaykh from that country was going to visit my place. To be honest, I actually thought Guyana is one of the countries in Africa. LOL. Pardon me Guyanese.

That is why Allah the Almighty already told us in the Quran in Surah Hujurat that He made us into nations and tribes so that we may know each other. 

So where is Guyana? 

I am sure the males among us will know Venezuela because it's one country that produces many Miss World and Miss Universe, methinks. LOL. And the football fans among us surely know where Brazil is. Right, these countries are in South America.

Venezuela is to the left of Guyana and Brazil is to the south of Guyana. And know that Guyana is not the same as French Guyana. I thought they were one and the same but nay. So I learned from Shaykh Masood Yusuf that Suriname is to the right of Guyana and used to be known as Dutch Guyana but they dropped the name and opted for a new name - Suriname. The country that is to the right of Suriname is French Guyana because it used to be a French colony.

Guyana's capital is Georgetown. Just like Penang's capital George Town, but spelled differently. [Mind your spelling folks. LOL.] 

The Dutch did colonize Guyana too before the British so they were at one time known as British Guyana. According to Mr Wiki, Guyana means "the land of many waters" and it is the only country in South America that has English as its official language. Ahah, no wonder Shaykh Masood Yusuf's English is flawless.

Okay that's a bit of Geography and History lesson for you.

And here's a good advice from Shaykh Masood Yusuf. A good advice for us as we gear up for the new year. 

"Have the consciousness of Allah in whatever you are doing. Have the purest of intention. Dedicate yourself to it if it's something good, dedicate yourself to it so that you are best at it. The Prophet said: "The best of you is the one who is most beneficial to others.'' Dedicate yourself to khair, to something good and do it with the purest intention. Do it to the best of your ability, in the best way possible. In whatever it is that you are doing, try to reach the depth of Islamic nature in it, so that Islam is seen as beautiful, it's attractive and not repel people from the beauty of Islam. That what we do and how we do it attract people to the beauty of Islam and not repel people due to ugliness of our actions and intentions that may live within it."

***
Almost verbatim quote there. Please wait for my small team to upload videos of his talks on Al Falah TV YouTube channel, Insha Allah. Shaykh Masood is very articulate. You'll see. Insha Allah.

In the meantime, please go ask your neighbors and buddies to subscribe to Al Falah TV YouTube channel ok : )

On my table this Sunday evening.
Good to learn Geography and History.
Rabbi zidni ilma war zuqni fahma

p/s
I still owe you updates for the Penang Mawlid Akbar posting : (


No comments:

Post a Comment